Saturday, March 21, 2009

Early Morning


Early morning after a very busy Third Friday evening. We- the Riverfront Renaissance Center for the Arts- were packed all evening. There were three worthwhile exhibitions- the Pat Witt Alumni exhibition, the 2007 Associate Artist Winners, and the ACE work of the local children. ACE= Arts Creates Excellence.- I gallery sit, and bartended last night too. I get to wear a dress, which is unusual as I'm either in old painting duds or a sports bra.- The work of the local children is very inspiring, they are so free in their color and expression. Many parents came out last night then of course.


I'm just a volunteer (as well as an ACE teacher)- a politician mistook me for a board member. My involvement with the RRCA began with cleaning their basement, where the art supplies are stored. I organized and structured a quite sizable mess one summer, it took about three months. I like organization. It was an opportunity to give back- it was an opportunity to get out of myself and work in quiet stillness completely undisturbed for a couple hours a week. I still keep the stuff organized. Sunday I will set up my class for Monday, I will check up on the supplies at the same time. It gives me peace. A sense of purpose. The RRCA is great for the community.


Many people. Braving the weather finally. I think we've all had enough of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment