Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The River Series


Yesterday I turned out two 5x7 paintings for the River Series. This series has been in the making for a couple months, today I am starting the 9th painting, a 16x20. Originally the series was to be shown in July at the local coffee shop, but I won't be ready, and I cancelled the show. TBA then. My purist nature broke through when life took my time (as in throwing out my back) away from my work, and I didn't want to create work for a show- the idea has always been, all along, to create another series, no matter the time it took. I'll know when the series work has ended, run it's course.


I usually work in series, I'd rather not do individual works. I like the creative process feeding off itself, new ideas spawing even newer ones, techniques explored and enhanced, embellished, stretched, colors used, discarded, newer colors mixed. I learn from one canvas to the next. So far in this series, I am loosening up (I was stylized for a time, I think due to enviromental restrictions) and the paint is flowing more and more freely. Until it warms I am working from photographs. But I am very familiar with the subject having albums of photos and one summer sketchbook of the riverwalk. The color green is tough to work with. When it comes time for plein air work maybe my color will vary more. I've joined a group of Plein Air Painters online, hoping to learn more.


So far the responses are good. "Fresh, lively, lush, painterly", etc. It's exciting as I never really do know how a painting will turn out, no matter how academic the underpainting.......

No comments:

Post a Comment