Monday, April 18, 2011

No Pics

At work for a few hours- so I have no pics. It's a quiet Monday. Thought I'd write a bit about the recent response to my work.

Friday was the districts 10th Anniversary of Third Fridays and the RRCA was pretty busy. We were all pretty excited, local artists and musicians. We don't always make much money, but we have a great community amongst ourselves- and there is great joy in being creative together. An artist friend invited me to paint in her all seasons garden after a big hug. Sixty four geranium plants! This morning I took an early walk around the river- it's that time of year again- and just felt so lucky and blessed being here.

The "Wetlands" exhibition opened Friday, it includes my "RiverMarsh". The Monday before was drop-off day and I worked, so I was able to get a few critiques in from other artists, and then Tuesday night from those who attend art history night. It was well liked. Most told me not to change my course. I did specifically question one respected landscape painter about my use of intense greens. Add red she said. The closest I've come is purple blocking and darks. But I'm willing to experiment, and I've toned some canvas and linen with cad red for plein air. My favorite red, so I'm compromising.

Friday night's studio visits were a lot of fun and it's become very interesting now I no longer "push sales". I feel like I'm teaching. Lots of questions. The River paintings are always well received, people love the color; many think I paint with acrylic so I find myself explaining Liquin. It is very nice to pull out my sketchbooks and photo albums and state I've been studying the river now for four years (this morning the tree roots were exposed with low tide- the trees always remind me of dancing figures...), not out of discipline, but sheer passion. The subject is never ending. People are very curious about my mono prints too, it is not a typical practice here, and I enjoy explaining my process. The "sqiggles" are usually the most well liked. But I tired of hand coloring and am exploring pastel on ghosts right now. Everyone always loves the portraits and after some discussion- my questioning if I can paint realism again- a viewer said "Sure you can". Remains to be seen yet.

I was derailed with my studies the past week but happily returned to it yesterday. Wrote on Facebook I was "playing hooky" so I would be left alone and get some work done. I may play hooky all week! I don't feel like reporting my daily activities anymore.
Looking forward to the day when I can put study to practice and venture out with my french easel.....

No comments:

Post a Comment