Friday, April 1, 2011

Running with Scissors



I wrote on Facebook yesterday that I feel like running with scissors; try new things. It's really exciting, maybe dangerous- after having a sale with no sales- maybe necessary right now. I laugh. I came to the conclusion with THAT- so what? It isn't in my spirit to bow to the masses. I'm curious, yes. I framed my "RiverMarsh" in antique gold yesterday. I prefer black, and I usually frame- outline- in electricians tape and carpet tacks- for twenty years. It's clean and orderly, especially if showing a number of works. And it lasts. Can be removed if someone wants a sofa frame. But working at the RRCA, I know people prefer gold. So, I'm curious if I get a response.

A psychiatrist once said I framed that way, with tape, because then all the viewer saw was the painting itself. Maybe. He wasn't too keen on my eight foot tall crucifixion! I'll never forget the look on his face, that I SHOULDN'T be painting things like that while seeking mental health.- Funny, but I've never shown my work to another psychiatrist.

Change is in the air, or in the water. Two of my female artist friends have also produced new work. I ordered linen for plein air yesterday, that is new to me as well.

I've been studying. Reading, surfing, searching. I'm not really sure how this started. Maybe with five months of art history films at the RRCA (really inspiring!) or my return to the exploration of mono prints. BTW- I may have a tattoo artist who works at Marvel Comics join me in my studio. Company! Cool.

I got it into my head that I wanted to study color theory again, but for the life of me could not find a book who's author's work I liked when I went to their website. I wanted to understand better the use of color- mixing paint- by our more prominent landscape artists. I thought about an impressionist book I found- but I don't want to paint like a "Monet Impressionist". I am more Manet, have always been. Thanks Dan for the books, have finished one.

What a fascinating source of artists the web is if you take the time! I belong to Artist Daily, which is really neat, they have free e-books if you want a quick rundown on the basics again. I just filled out a profile this week (curious) though I've been a member for awhile, and spent some time this week viewing lots of work- there are tons of good traditional artists out there! Pops the bubble of living in the district. For some time now I've been receiving e-mails from Jonathan Aller, who I met through Artist Daily- he does alla prima studies in still life and documents the process for you.

Which brings me to alla prima. How I've ended up painting (and so much fun! Though I still may attempt a still life in realism....). I found an artist, Al Gury, who teaches at PAFA, who has written two books, alla prima, and color, that I plan on studying. I'm very curious if I can push this further. Some of his paintings I don't quite like, maybe a little too messy for me, but maybe that is good...

Running with scissors. Will I fall????.......FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment