Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Youth Art Auction


Two short blogs tonight, after a healthy strenuous work out at the gym. Listening to Baroque. Saturday was the RRCA's Youth Art Auction. Today I kicked out a little 8x10. Busy.


The Youth Art Auction was the brainstorm of our new director Amy Sullivan. We all volunteered for the event, it was a lot of fun. Once again, children are so inspiring. The local youth was given the opportunity to enter work in a silent auction from 10 to 12. During the viewing of the work for sale we also had face painting, keyboard, raffle. I was upstairs in the classroom with our new intern with a plethora of supplies for the children and parents to create whatever their heart's desired. It was hot and sunny, beautiful, and the place abuzz with activity. I bid on a stunning piece by a six year old- "Woman and Volcano" that blew me away- but the artist's grandmother, then framer, outbid me. I was grateful to participate- they thank me all the time for my work as a volunteer- I don't know if they realize how much I get in return. To see children so alive with the joy of art and creation, and encouraged, it fills my soul.......


The RRCA didn't quite reach it's fundraising goal for the ACE program, but this is the first Youth Auction. The participating children all received certificates from the Center, and their faces were glowing with pride. Worthwhile event. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment