Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Winter


I finished Winter today, in one sitting. It was fun. I suppose since it is a self portrait I felt more freedom in painting the way I wanted to, which was quickly (honestly?), letting the paint move itself. I did reference a Degas interior for color. This painting/series was long in coming- I started it three years ago. But I felt stilted as a neighbor found out I was painting the seasons and the next I knew it was "summer" this, "fall" that, "spring" this, etc. Until I got disgusted and quit. I had eyes peering over my shoulder during working. I still felt a bit of that when I decided to finish these paintings, so I am very pleased to say they are done! A certain satisfaction, and much exhalation. I like this painting very much. I don't know if others will- it's very loose and only suggests myself- but maybe that is why I like it. It is an impression. Will see if it dries by the 18th, some of the paint application is thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment