Friday, January 29, 2010

Herstory II


First, a show announcement. I will be in "Herstory II- A Celebration of Female Artists"" next month, opening February 19th, running until March 13th, at the RRCA. It is quite an honor to be asked to show in this, curated by Liz Nicklus and Rachel Citrino (Rachel was quite taken with my Obsession surreal piece at one time). Liz Nicklus is the director of the Millville Weed and Seed Program, my boss in the program Artworks- she had asked me to participate our first night of Artworks class. I'm in the company of Bobbie Diamond Adams, Terri Amig (whom I am in awe of), the Jaqueline Sandro, and Reta Sweeney.- After some e-mail and jpeg exchange it is decided I will be showing The Shades, this might include Some Lady in Hell with Long Hair- if I want to carry her down the street. Have to see how the wind is. I am excited to be showing The Shades at the RRCA- those Memorial window treatments certainly have made the rounds. They always stir excitement, and I hope fun. I smile quietly. They aren't rivers.

Very cold walk on the way to work tonight, my feet went numb. I brought my camera tonight to show the director a pic of the painting (under painting) I'm doing for the library upstairs. Not many people tonight, too cold. I had a very long talk with my boss the other day- I cried. She spoke to me in a manner not many do, with positivity and energy, about my work. She complimented me- no one compliments me, they are far too ready to criticize. And we discussed a few other things.

I'm going to make a few life changes now, one is to work less hours, the reason for the talk with the boss. Another, and this might sound silly, but at her suggestion, switch coffee shops and get out of the Peyton place I was frequenting. This town is not easy. Stay off Facebook and create a website.

Others would include the gym- that will be my social life. I really enjoyed it the other day, which is kinda funny because I work out in the "guy" section- but this is inspiring me more and more, I love their energy. I've discovered my neighbors leave me feeling lonely- same old gossip, intrusions, conversations- I will get lonely being in my own space if I'm not careful. So it will be off to the gym. Or the tunnel, my wireless headphone haven when creating- I can't hear a thing going on, can only concentrate.

Things will be created as they are. I do feel the pressure to perform (less Facebook for sure), and this thing with a new computer and accessories- it will happen when it happens. There is always the next thing, never the moment. Computer work will happen when it does, then. The fall series beckons, and I have a Center Member show to ready for in the fall.

I am too concerned with other's activities and not paying attention to my own. And I need to pay more attention to the benefits of artistic community instead of otherwise- I have thoroughly enjoyed the Artworks class and three adult female artists having conversations weekly, and the teaching in my watercolor class by a very dedicated female artist- I used to be that way. I know how I lost it. I want it back.

Long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment